Life360 offers Crash Detection and emergency response for all members in a Gold or Platinum Membership Circle in the U.S.. When Life360 detects that you have been in a serious collision (either as a passenger or as a driver), we'll contact you. If need be, we’ll also notify the admins in your Circle as well as your emergency contacts if you've specified them in the app. We also dispatch 911 emergency services if needed, or when you are unable to respond. Crash Detection uses patented technology to detect major collisions. It relies on sensors in your phone to detect a significant impact whenever the vehicle is moving at least 25 mph. Therefore, it won’t detect fender-benders, being rear-ended, or other minor accidents. To get help with minor accidents, towing, jump starts, emergency weather advice, flat tires, lockouts, and running out of gas, your Circle has access to 24/7 roadside assistance by tapping the 'Call Roadside Assistance' button in the 'Safety' tab.
In order for Life360 to detect a crash:
- The vehicle needs to be moving at a sustained speed of least at 25 mph for at least 30 seconds before the collision
- The vehicle needs to come to a sudden, complete stop after the collision
- The phone needs to have more than 10% battery life and not be in power-saving mode
- The phone needs to have a cellular signal and Life360 needs permission to use it
- The phone's location permissions need to be set to allow location "Always" (not "While in Use")
- If you're on a CDMA carrier (including Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular), cell data doesn't always work if you are on a phone call. If you’re on a phone call at the time of a car crash, the crash won’t be detected until after you hang up the phone. If you don’t end your phone call shortly after the crash, we won’t be able to detect it at all.
- You need to be in an area with strong cell phone reception (e.g. crash detection does not work in a tunnel)
For best reliability:
- Place your phone is in a secure position such as in your pocket, phone holder, or glove box
- Have your phone with WiFi turned on
- Make sure your phone is well charged
- Use the latest version of the Life360 app
Crash Detection has not been tested on motorcycles, scooters, or three-wheel trikes. However, we’re always working to improve the reliability and the types of collisions that we can detect.
*Crash Detection, emergency response, and roadside assistance are only available in the U.S.